Hernando High School cross country and track standout Emily Graham next year will make the move from the high school to the NCAA Division I ranks in both sports as Graham will compete at Missouri State University.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Arkabutla Lake this week reported that some white bass are still in the creeks and river spawning where they can be taken on jigs, spinners or small crank baits. No size or number limits are on white bass.
Friday’s rainfall, or threat of rain, made some high school coaches and athletic directors look at moving playoff games from Friday to Thursday to be sure contests got in before the heavens opened up.
Austin Malone of DeSoto Central recently signed a letter of intent to play soccer at Lyon College, a small NAIA school located in Batesville, Ark. A goalkeeper, Malone did not play high school soccer for the Jaguars this past season but instead played club soccer with DC Galaxy and was invol…
A number of DeSoto County powerlifting athletes brought home medals from last week’s MHSAA state meet at Jackson’s Mississippi Coliseum, but only one likely had to hurry back and shorten the celebration, so he could help keep income coming in for his family.
The Holmes Community College baseball team is officially known as the Bulldogs, but as a team known to give it all on the diamond, they affectionately call themselves the “Dirtbags.”
The 5A/6A North All-Star baseball team playing in the Mississippi Association of Coaches Crossroads Diamond Club game against its South counterparts will have a decidedly DeSoto County slant to it.
Northwest Mississippi Community College sophomore left-hander Dalton Minton was named the MACJC Pitcher of the Week on Tuesday after a vote of the league's sports information directors.
As Mississippi RiverKings forward Mike Moran is packing up his locker for the season Monday, he was informed he would have some extra hardware to take home to Massachusetts from his year with the SPHL club.
Ole Miss sophomore golfer Braden Thornberry, a former state champion golfer at DeSoto Central, continues to “hit ‘em straight” for the Rebel golf team this spring.
The Mississippi RiverKings used a pair of second-period goals Friday night to defeat the Huntsville Havoc 4-2 and force a deciding game three in their first-round SPHL playoff series.
The Mississippi RiverKings entered Wednesday night’s first game of the Southern Professional Hockey League playoffs against the Huntsville Havoc knowing they had two of the better players the past month or so on their side.
Center Hill baseball pitcher-first baseman Dalton Cohea Monday morning put his signature on a letter of intent for a baseball scholarship at Coahoma Community College in Clarksdale.
* Center Hill will be the center of the local high school track and field world Tuesday when the division meets for MHSAA 6A-2 and MHSAA 5A-1 are contested. Field events will start at 10 a.m., followed by the first relay events at 10:20 a.m. Gates will open at 8:30 a.m. Top qualifiers from t…
Southaven High School recently announced its scholar athletes for the month of March. With award sponsor Ryan England of State Farm Insurance are junior Tristan Parsons and Jacob Henson. Parsons is a member of the Charger archery program and in past also participated in cheerleading. Henson …
Former Lake Cormorant softball pitcher Harley Smith, a freshman at Northwest Mississippi Community College, has been named the NJCAA Division II Softball National Pitcher of the Week for games played Monday, March 27 through Sunday, April 2.
DeSoto County School District Supt. Cory Uselton, right, visited Olive Branch High School Wednesday morning to congratulate senior point guard Myah Taylor, center, on her being named a third-team All-USA girls basketball selection from USA Today and her third consecutive year being named Gat…
* In high school baseball Monday, Northpoint Christian defeated First Assembly Christian, Tenn. 3-1. The Trojans moved to 8-3 overall and 1-0 in their division. Justin Jones was the winning pitcher. Louis Steen’s go-ahead base hit drove in Reed Haberstroh for the winning run in the top of th…
Rookie Derek Sutliffe tallied two goals as the Mississippi RiverKings (31-20-3) defeated the Evansville Thunderbolts (13-32-9) Sunday afternoon at the Landers Center in Southaven.
Southaven High School recently announced its scholar athletes for the month of February. With award sponsor Ryan England of State Farm Insurance are senior Danialle Jones and Elvis Thai, a junior foreign exchange student. Both are members of the Charger archery program at the school.
In Thursday night high school baseball, Northpoint Christian won its fifth straight game with a 10-2 defeat of Millington, Tenn. Jacob Swindle picked up the pitching victory. Blake Berry, Nathan Tatko, Blake Cherry each had 2 hits. The Trojans are now 6-3 for the season.
• In high school baseball Monday night, Center Hill shut out Hernando 2-0, despite 10 strikeouts from Hernando pitcher Dillan Fiveash. Austin Pace pitched the complete-game shutout for Center Hill. LJ Haralson drove in the only runs of the contest for the Mustangs with a fifth-inning home run.
Northwest Mississippi Community College sophomore soccer defender Sierra Lasher has committed to play for Coach Natalie Dreyer and the University of the Ozarks in Clarksville, Ark., for the next two seasons.
In a Sunday afternoon contest at the Landers Center in Southaven, the Mississippi RiverKings (28-20-3) fell to the Pensacola Ice Flyers (24-19-8) 4-3 in a shootout, despite a pair of goals from Ryan Marcuz.
Three important pieces of the recent Lewisburg High School volleyball juggernaut are going their separate ways after graduation in May, but their coach is confident they have laid a foundation for future triumphs for the Lady Patriot program.
Safe in the knowledge they are again in the Southern Pro Hockey League playoffs, the Mississippi RiverKings hope to pad a few more wins to their record and possibly move a bit further up in the league standings this weekend.
* A parade honoring the Olive Branch High School MHSAA state championship girls basketball team is planned for Saturday, April 1. The parade will start at 12 noon at Olive Branch Intermediate School and proceed to the City Park, where a picnic has been planned. Olive Branch defeated Starkvil…
• Softball All-Stars have been announced for the upcoming Mississippi Association of Coaches series at Jones County Junior College in Ellisville in June. Representing DeSoto County on the 4A/5A/6A North team will be Lacey Coats of Hernando, Montana Downs of Lewisburg, Kameron Hudson of South…