Polls are open across DeSoto County from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. today as voters trek to the polls to choose county court, circuit, state Court of Appeals and chancery judgeships along with choosing two U.S. Senators, including candidates vying in a special election to fill the seat of former U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran who retired earlier this year due to health concerns.
A U.S. House of Representatives seat is also on the ballot.
Two school board seats, District 3 and 4, are also on the ballot.
Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann along with DeSoto Circuit Clerk Dale K. Thompson has urged voters to remember to bring along a photo ID at the polls.
Any of the following IDs may be used:
- A driver's license.
- A photo ID issued by a branch, department or entity of the State of Mississippi.
- A United States Passport.
- A government employee ID card.
- A firearms license.
- A student photo ID issued by an accredited Mississippi university, college or community/junior college.
- A United States military ID.
- A tribal photo ID.
- Any other photo ID issued by any branch, department, agency or entity of the United States government or any State government.
- A Mississippi Voter Identification card.
Robert Lee Long is Community Editor for the DeSoto Times-Tribune. He may be contacted at email@example.com or at 662-429-6397, Ext. 252.