Crime scene

A 24-year-old Memphis man is dead after taking his own life following a police chase that began when Hernando Police spotted a vehicle for which a "Be On the Lookout," or a BOLO, had been broadcast over police radio.

DeSoto County Sheriff Bill Rasco said Wednesday the incident involved the 24-year-old man and a juvenile, alleged to be 16 years old, who were in a vehicle that eluded both Hernando Police and deputies with the DeSoto County Sheriff's Department.

DeSoto County Interim Coroner Josh Pounders has identified the man as Wesley Andrew Brandon, 24, whose last known address was in Memphis. He had apparently lived in Hawaii previously.

Pounders said the man was pronounced dead at Baptist Memorial Hospital- DeSoto at 2:05 a.m. Wednesday.

According to Rasco, the BOLO was issued out of Jackson, Tenn.

"The chase went down McCracken Road," said Rasco, adding the incident was first reported around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday. "He got out a weapon and committed suicide after wrecking his vehicle in a yard."

Hernando Police Chief Scott Worsham said Hernando Police spotted the man's car outside the Super 8 Motel in Hernando, just off the interstate.

"We located him at the Super 8 Motel in Hernando and waited for him to leave," Worsham said. "Then, we tried to stop the car, when he pulled out. When he left the motel he circled into the parking lot at the Catholic Church and then tried to elude police by getting on McCracken. He probably thought that was the way to get onto the interstate."

Worsham said the man was traveling south on McCracken and wrecked his vehicle in a ditch.

The man then tried to drive northbound on McCracken Road, according to Worsham. "One of our officers instructed the man to get out of his vehicle and that's when he apparently shot himself," Worsham said.

According to Chief Inspector Roger Hutchins with the DeSoto County Sheriff's Department, the incident came to an abrupt end at the intersection of Slocum and McCracken Road.

"The suspect (Brandon) was transported from the scene but later died from the self-inflicted gunshot wound," Hutchins said. "The juvenile was found to be unharmed and transported from the scene and placed into protective custody," the statement from Hutchins said.

Robert Lee Long is Community Editor of the DeSoto Times-Tribune. He may be contacted at or at 662-429-6397, Ext. 252.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.